Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Maasai women and their families Have the Joy of their Life!



The day started like any other day for the maasai community in Oloolorai Village in Namanga Division on the border of Kenya-Tanzania. We started water drilling on the proposed borehole and within 3 days we had plenty of water coming out more than expected. The joy which struck each one of us is to see the water coming out in plenty and from there each one of us knew the life for this community has completely changed. I opted to spend a night in the bush with the maasai men and boys and don't forget this area is next to Amboseli National Park and the wildlife animals are in the area. I definitely didn't mind at all spending the night on an open fire with maasai men and checking around whether there were elephants around us. Nowadays i fear monkeys than elephants after three female monkeys chased me as they wanted to beat me and one of them scratched my leg but the guard saved me as he came running with a big stick and this was the second time it happened to me. I felt very safe and my only interest was to make sure everything was done in the right way. More than feeling cold and scared of wild animals, we had so much fun the whole night in the bush. When we completed water drilling at around 5am in the morning,the driller started casing the borehole but i was longing to go home as i was very tired and sleepy and i knew i had a long drive awaiting ahead of me from Amboseli to Namanaga to Nairobi. The drive took me 4 hours as i was driving myself passing through the bushes and i felt very safe although the maasai guys who i was with at the water drilling site were so worried about me but i think i am just used to do things by myself focusing on the positive sides without thinking about anything negative. At this time i just wanted things done although i was very tired and since it was a weekend i didn't want to bother anyone at all or anyone to inconveniece me with my plans. I knew i was going to spend the night in the bush and so i had to keep my mouth chat.
The casing ended at 6pm and the guys had to leave the site and after 2 days they went back with another truck to do the water pump testing which went very well and everything was positive. We have now been working for the pump house,generator,water pump and plumbing. I wish each one of us was there to see the joy this maasai community have. I cannot explain it. Thank you to the Australian Embassy in Kenya for funding this GREAT project as you have no any idea what you have done to the community within Oloolorai. Will keep you updated with the events which will follow as the Australian Embassy in kenya launch this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment